Proper skin care is a year-round endeavor, which is why National Skin Care Awareness Month exists to remind us to keep up with our self-care routines. At Jiva Med Spa, this is the month we help you spruce up your routine and stay proactive about your skin’s health!
Photo Caption: Establishing a daily skincare routine is a great first step toward improving the health of your skin.
Skin Care Awareness Month – Keeping Your Skin Healthy All Year Round
As temperatures cool and summer comes to an end, it is more important than ever to keep an eye on your skin’s health! Although you may have been consistent about applying sunscreen on the hottest, sunniest days, a full summer of UV exposure can have long-lasting impacts on the wellbeing of your skin. Fortunately, September is National Skin Care Awareness Month, and Jiva Med Spa is here to provide helpful skin care tips to prepare your skin for the transition between seasons and well into the future.
What Can I Do For My Skin?
There is more to maintaining your skin’s health than a simple moisturizer or topical ointments prescribed by your doctor. Independently, you can establish new, healthy habits in your daily routine which can greatly enhance your skin’s health — and your body’s overall health — on a holistic level.
1) Hydrate & Eat Healthily. Proper hydration can aid in the healing of irritated skin — plus, it helps your body flush out toxins to cultivate healthier, fresher skin. Diet can have a huge effect on skin health, especially if you frequently eat food that contains MSG, high amounts of sugars, or added preservatives. Dermatologists and estheticians recommend eating nutritious, vitamin-rich foods, such as colorful fruits and vegetables, to reduce inflammation. Our IV Hydration treatments are a great way to jumpstart your body’s hydration levels, metabolism, mental and physical energy, and immune system.
2) Go Easy On Yourself. It is easy to get frustrated or stressed due to acne, wrinkles, loose skin, or other common issues. This leads to high levels of cortisol (the stress hormone) in your system that can trigger breakouts, oily pores, and general redness. Although your first reaction may be to angrily scrub your face, don’t! The American Academy of Dermatology Association (AAD) suggests that the best way to wash your face is through a gentle cleanse with lukewarm water, patting your face dry with a clean towel, and applying a pea-sized amount of moisturizer — finish with SPF if you are going outdoors!
3) Wear Sunscreen. The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends a formula of at least SPF 30 or higher when outdoors, even if you are not in direct sun. Even in cooler weather, it is a good idea to put on a bit of sunscreen before heading outside each day. Overcast skies can be deceiving — UV rays can still reach your skin through clouds! A variety of dermatologist-endorsed, medical-grade sunscreens can be found available for purchase at Jiva Med Spa’s offices.
4) Regular Self-Exams. Only you know what it’s like to be in your skin! This makes it extra important to stay in tune with your body. Are you noticing new spots that are unusual? Are there additional symptoms such as the spot enlarging, changing color, itching, or bleeding? If so, monthly self-checkups can alert you to emerging issues that may require professional medical treatment.
5) Try New Products! We get it — experimenting with new solutions and ingredients can be risky. However, it also can give you an idea of what your skin reacts to the best. Moisturizers and serums are useful for even those who have the mildest dermal irritations. Jiva Med Spa recommends a few options through SkinBetter Science, such as the Oxygen Infusion face wash or the Alto Defense Serum for regular cleansers. Perhaps you are looking to even out and rejuvenate skin tone? Alastin Skincare offers assorted products for skin revitalization, like their ever-popular Regenerating Skin Nectar.
Skin Care Tips We Recommend at Jiva Med Spa
While skincare regimens and regular self-exams are integral for establishing better daily habits, checking in regularly with your dermatologist for professional diagnoses and treatment is also valuable. At Jiva Med Spa, we offer a variety of skin care treatment options based on your individual skin needs and goals. If you’re unsure which treatments will work best for you, we provide free consultations with our experts! Our services at Jiva cover a broad range of needs, from basic facials to body sculpting and injections.
Proper skincare can vary vastly from person to person, so it’s important for us to work with you one-on-one throughout the process. Come schedule an appointment with us at our Columbus (614-421-7546), Dayton (937-705-9430), or Cincinnati (513-834-1770) locations
Take Advantage Of This Deal!
EXCLUSIVE BLOG OFFER: Make sure to follow Jiva Med Spa on Facebook and Instagram and mention our “Skin Care Awareness” post for 50% off our basic SkinBetter peel!