As we age, it’s only natural that our body undergoes change. Although a decrease in sexual satisfaction and libido is normal, there are luckily plenty of solutions that will restore your dynamic sex life and enhance your overall well-being.
Photo Caption: Feel young and revitalized inside the bedroom (and out!) with our recommended sexual health treatments.
Getting Down to Business: The Importance of Intimacy & Sexual Health
Sex is a natural, basic desire innate in all of us. It fulfills a biological human need to be close to someone and experience companionship, while displaying a great deal of trust. After adolescents mature, the body becomes the most sexually active because of heightened hormone levels and a biological urge to reproduce while at peak fertility.
Sexual health is extremely important for people in all stages of life. It boosts mental well-being, reduces blood pressure and stress, plus it helps to form intimate relationships. As we age, however, the body typically experiences some decreases in sex drive and a general lack of enthusiasm that impedes a healthy sex life
What Causes That Shift?
There are numerous mental, emotional, and societal factors that can impact a healthy libido. Many men and women experience shared issues such as:
- Stress & anxiety. The body’s natural response to stress releases high levels of cortisol, causing psychological stress, especially when trying to sexually perform. Unfinished tasks or incomplete to-do lists can also distract the mind, add to distress, and decrease overall desire.
- Medications. Often, prescription drugs are used to treat depression and other mental health issues, as well as newly developed medical conditions that progress with age. Certain medicines react within the body and may result in low libido, hormone imbalances, and a drop in overall motivation.
- Hormone imbalances. In addition to certain medical prescriptions, hormone imbalances can be caused by poor nutrition, lack of proper exercise, or simply undergoing the effects of menopause and andropause as people age.
Sexual Libido Over Time
What happens as we age? Yes, you guessed it—sexual libido declines due to naturally occurring bodily changes. For men and women who are around 50 or older, they will start to feel various symptoms that influence their sexual routines and daily patterns. These changes can be subtle and are experienced differently in men and women.
- Males/Men: According to Boston Direct Health, the majority of men will see a gradual decrease in testosterone, the main hormone that influences libido, around age 35. This decline can be exacerbated by stress from work obligations, family life, and societal expectations. However, most symptoms of andropause, or “male menopause,” manifest their 60 – 70’s, with symptoms such as weight gain, decreased vitality, depression, lack of muscle control, and erectile dysfunction (ED). Health issues like diabetes or cardiovascular disease, require special medications that can also inhibit a robust sex life.
- Females/Women: Women in midlife undergo a menopause transition which reduces female pleasure during sex. This is due to the decline of estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone hormones that are produced in the body. Unfortunately, menopause comes with a variety of uncomfortable symptoms: hot flashes, interrupted sleep, increased anxiety, weight gain, muscle atrophy, and vaginal dryness—all of which make it difficult to find sexual motivation. A medical study showed between 30-40% of middle-aged women in the U.S. reported low libido as the most frequent side effect of menopause. Not to mention the toll that childbirth puts on a lot of mothers’ bodies!
How To Take Back Control
So, what can you do in your daily routine to revitalize your sexual health? Here are some easy, self-help ideas that can spice things up between you and your partner:
- Exercise together. Whether you go to the gym to lift weights, attend a yoga class, or take a walk in your neighborhood, working out is great for your body. It causes the release of endorphins (such as serotonin or dopamine) which naturally elevate mood and energy levels, while decreasing stress hormones. Plus, staying in shape boosts confidence in one’s body image.
- Try to stress less. If you’re one to worry about unfinished chores or miscellaneous responsibilities, try to cross a few things off your checklist. High levels of adrenaline and cortisol contribute to anxiety, making sex a less enjoyable experience. Share concerns with your partner to ease stress; they can take some things off your plate!
- Explore your relationship. Even when sexual desires are low, spend some quality time connecting with your partner to rekindle your emotional bond. Physical touch is important, so hold hands, cuddle in bed, and hug a lot! Go out on an adventurous date night to switch things up—monotony puts a damper on libido, and a change in scenery can be an effective way to stimulate excitement and arousal.
What Treatments Can Help?
Reestablishing a healthy sex life looks different from person to person. The bottom line is finding a process that works best for you. At Jiva Med Spa, we have several life-changing sexual health treatments that will make you feel sexy and revitalized!
BTL Emsella Chair
This cutting-edge technology can have a huge impact on both men and women’s sex lives by tightening aging muscles in the pelvic area. Emsella provides a non-invasive electromagnetic stimulation of pelvic floor musculature, strengthening weak muscles to gain control over any incontinence.
Bioidentical Hormone Therapy (BHT)
As we mentioned earlier, hormones play an important role in maintaining a healthy sex drive. Hormone therapy can be an extremely useful solution to combat a wide variety of problems such as weight gain, decreased muscle strength, mood swings, and difficulty sleeping at night. Our team works with experts at Biote, one of the nation’s leaders in BHT, to provide a customized pellet therapy that optimizes hormone levels in both men and women.
The procedure is quick and painless; the pellet is inserted with a small incision in the upper buttocks. Once inserted, the pellet will completely dissolve over time, keeping hormone levels consistent 24/7. For men, the process restores normal testosterone levels, increases sex drive, stabilizes mood, and improves other issues, like erectile dysfunction. In women, it eliminates fatigue, renews sexual desire, and energizes the body and mind.
O-Shot & P-Shot
These twin procedures are used to increase sexual pleasure for men and women with proven results that last up to 1 year or more. Platelet-rich plasma is injected into the vaginal and penile areas—which have been locally anesthetized—which circulates blood flow to stimulate tissue growth and volume regeneration.
The O-Shot rejuvenates the vagina, making intercourse less painful, augmenting the sex drive, and making orgasms deeper and much more achievable for women. Meanwhile, the P-Shot helps enlarge penis size and shape while ensuring proper performance for men struggling with erectile dysfunction.
Diva Vaginal Rejuvenation Therapy
Diva uses special laser technology to cut tiny incisions in the vaginal wall. These microlesions stimulate natural collagen production in the body, which tightens loose vaginal skin while improving urinary incontinence, furthering sexual pleasure, and boosting women’s confidence in their daily lives.
Call Jiva TODAY!
Having a vibrant, satisfying sex life is an incredibly important part of overall wellbeing. At Jiva Med Spa, we’re here to help you overcome mental and physical barriers with our diverse array of treatment plans that will get you feeling like your sexy self in no time. Come schedule an appointment with us at our Columbus (614-421-7546), Dayton (937-705-9430), or Cincinnati (513-834-1770) locations
Take Advantage Of This Deal!
EXCLUSIVE BLOG OFFER: When you book your appointment, mention our “Sexual Health” blog post for a FREE Emsella Chair Pelvic Floor Rejuvenation session ($500 value).