60% of the human body is comprised of water, and adequate hydration is essential if you want to function at your very best. However, when our systems are compromised – like when we’re sick, after strenuous exercise, or during a hangover – water alone sometimes isn’t enough. That’s why we offer IV hydration at Jiva Med Spa.
Exploring Hydration: How IV Drips Can Enhance Performance And Improve Wellness
The average human can survive between one to two months without food, but only three days without water. Water powers pretty much every bodily function you can think of – temperature regulation, food digestion, joint lubrication, hormone production, oxygen delivery, toxin elimination – you name it. A combination of factors will determine how long a person can fully operate without feeling the effects of dehydration. For example, if you live in a hot and humid climate and tend to sweat a lot, you’ll need to replenish your water stores more quickly. However, even if you live in the sub-zero Antarctic Circle, daily water intake is a non-negotiable need.
What Are The Symptoms Of Dehydration?
Although we often associate dehydration with thirst, there are a variety of symptoms that you can experience that indicate low levels of water in your body. According to The Mayo Clinic, “thirst isn’t always a reliable early indicator of the body’s need for water. Many people, particularly older adults, don’t feel thirsty until they’re already dehydrated. That’s why it’s important to increase water intake during hot weather or when you’re ill.” Common symptoms of dehydration vary with age, but they most commonly include one or more of the following:
- Feeling thirsty/a dry tongue
- Dark yellow and strong-smelling pee
- Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
- Feeling fatigued and/or confused
- A dry mouth, lips, and eyes
- Peeing fewer than 4 times a day
- Listlessness or irritability
Why Is Staying Hydrated So Important?
As previously stated, our bodies depend on water to perform a variety of functions, and even being slightly dehydrated can throw us off our game. If you don’t drink enough water throughout the day, some serious complications can arise, such as heat injury, urinary and kidney problems, seizures, and low blood volume shock. Let’s explore each one:
- Heat Injury: You might be more familiar with the term “Heat Stroke,” which is the most severe form of heat injury. Essentially, a heat injury occurs when the body doesn’t have enough water to produce sweat to cool us down, so our temperature continues to rise to dangerous levels. Heat injury is most common during hot, sunny months, but it can also be exacerbated by heavy, dark clothing, fitness levels, and even some types of medication like diuretics.
- Urinary & Kidney Problems: According to Bladder & Bowel Community, “not having enough fluid in your body will lead to concentrated urine, which can irritate the bladder and make you feel the urge to pass urine with urgency or more frequently suffer from incontinence.” By drinking plenty of water, you dilute the toxins in your urine and flush any irritants from your body more quickly. Prolonged dehydration can also lead to kidney stones, which can cause long-term damage if not treated properly.
- Seizures: According to Merck Manual, “electrolytes are minerals that carry an electric charge when they are dissolved in a liquid such as blood. The blood electrolytes—sodium, potassium, chloride, and bicarbonate—help regulate nerve and muscle function and maintain acid-base balance and water balance.” Vice versa, if your water intake is too low, your electrolyte balance will be thrown off, leading to involuntary muscle contractions.
- Low Blood Volume Shock: This is a life-threatening condition that occurs when you lose more than 20 percent of your body’s blood or fluid supply. And since over 90% of blood plasma is water, not drinking water can cause a drop in blood pressure and a drop in oxygen levels. Symptoms of low blood volume shock include weakness, fatigue, fainting, and dizziness, and they should be treated by a medical professional immediately.
As if the risk of heat injury, urinary and kidney problems, seizures, and low blood volume shock wasn’t enough to convince you to keep sipping on H2O throughout the day, you might also be interested to learn that drinking enough water can actually boost skin health and beauty. Since water helps your body flush out toxins more efficiently, drinking enough of the good stuff can help your face appear more radiant. It can also help maintain your skin’s natural elasticity and suppleness – another benefit of staying adequately hydrated from within. Drinking water first thing in the morning can also jumpstart your metabolism, and studies have shown that water can be really helpful for weight loss.
How Much Water Do You Need To Drink Per Day?
For many years, eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day has been the go-to government recommendation; in other words, 64 ounces of water per day, minimum. However, that number is simply an easy-to-remember guideline – not a hard-and-fast rule. Water intake requirements vary from person to person, especially if you’re spend a lot of time outdoors or like to exercise vigorously. According to Healthline, how much water you need also depends on where you live, your diet, the temperature or season, your environment, how active you are, your overall health, and whether or not you’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
Is Water Alone Enough To Keep Your Body Hydrated?
For the average, healthy person, sipping on plain old H2O is generally all you need to stay healthy and hydrated – that is, as long as you’re also eating a colorful diet full of vitamin-rich fruits, veggies, and whole grains. However, when our bodies are put under stress from things like intense exercise, illness, and yes – even a nasty hangover – we also lose important things like electrolytes, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and nutrients. On those occasions, proper hydration can require more than simple water. Popular sports drinks like Gatorade can help in a pinch, but they’re oftentimes full of sugar, calories, and chemicals to make them taste good. They’re also not a great long-term solution if you’re concerned about chronic dehydration. That’s where alternatives like IV hydration can help.
What Are The Benefits Of IV Hydration?
As soon as you have a sip of water, it’s likely that your thirst will be quenched, and your system will immediately feel refreshed – that’s your brain signaling to your body that it’s had enough to drink, even if that’s not 100% the case. However, that’s just the very beginning of water’s journey through the human body. After it hydrates your oral cavity and it goes down your esophagus, it’s absorbed by your large intestine, the lower part of your digestive system. On the flip side, when you hydrate through an IV drip, the fluids enter your bloodstream directly – no need to bypass the digestive system! According to experts, that means the effects of IV hydration occur immediately, so you will feel better faster if you hydrate through an IV versus a traditional glass of water. Of course, that’s not to say that water isn’t important, but IV hydration can definitely help in specific circumstances.
What Types Of IV Hydration Does Jiva Med Spa Offer?
Jiva has been the #1 medical spa in Ohio for health and wellness for many years now, and we’re pleased to announce the introduction of a best-in-class Hydration Station in our Columbus office! Our new Hydration Station will feature IV drips for every occasion to nourish your body and restore your mind. It’s important to note that IV hydration is a safe and effective way to quickly provide your body with the essential nutrients it needs to enhance performance and improve wellness. No matter what you’re suffering from – chronic migraines, slow metabolism, persistent acne, or a nasty hangover – an IV drip at Jiva Med Spa’s Hydration Station can help you feel better.
We know that every body is different, and every individual has unique hydration needs. That’s why we have nine different IV drips for our patients to choose from, and they’re listed below:
BRONZE – $99
- *Jumpin’ Jiva, $99: Burn fat, feel energized, and boost metabolism.
- Smarty Pants, $99: Improve cognitive function, information processing, learning & memory.
- Fountain Of Youth, $99: Fight acne, wrinkles, and tired skin with a cocktail of antioxidants.
- *Quench, $99: Hydrate quickly and combat fatigue from dehydration.
- *After Party Elixir, $99: This cocktail is certain to ease hangover headaches and nausea.
- Reset, $99: Fight chronic health issues like joint pain, fibromyalgia, and migraines.
- Smart & Happy, $99: Improve mental clarity and mood, with added anti-aging support.
SILVER – $119
- Performance Booster, $119: Decrease recovery time and enhance athletic performance.
GOLD – $149
- The Buckeye Boost, $149: The Gold Standard for overall wellness.
In addition to our pre-mixed IV drips, we also have a variety of medications that can be purchased and customized separately, such as Toradol for headaches and Zofran for nausea. To further boost your Hydration Station experience, you can also choose to purchase an add-on service that can be performed during and/or immediately after your IV drip. Or, if you prefer, you can schedule your add-on service for a later date at no extra charge:
- SkinMedica Illuminize Peel – $99
- Diamond Glow Facial – $99
- Pedi-Exfoliating Mask – $20
- Teeth Whitening – $45
- Hydrating Mask – $20
Why Choose Jiva Med Spa For Your IV Hydration Needs?
Not only do we have the very best treatments, but we also have the very best team members in our Jiva Med Spa offices. To ensure high-quality support throughout the IV drip administration process, we have an emergency room nurse with 24 years of experience on staff – Diane Middleton, RN, BSN. Diane has worked at multiple Level 1 trauma centers, she was on the hospital’s IV team, and she is certified in ultrasound-guided IV therapy. Diane leads our Hydration Station and trains the other nurse practitioners on best practices.
Additionally, we only use trusted IV drip ingredients from Olympia Pharmaceuticals. Olympia’s IV Nutrient Infusion Formulas are used to deliver vitamins and minerals directly into the bloodstream, offering superior absorption vs. oral supplements. Olympia Pharmaceuticals is comprised of a state-of-the-art FDA 503B pharmaceutical outsourcing facility and a 503A pharmacy. So, if you’re curious about the benefits of IV hydration, there’s no better place to visit than Jiva Med Spa. Book your Hydration Station appointment today: 614-421-7546.
Take Advantage Of This Deal!
EXCLUSIVE BLOG OFFER: To reward our blog readers, we are offering ALL Bronze Level IV drips for $79 (originally $99) in June and July of 2021. Simply call us or stop by your local Jiva Med Spa and mention this “IV Hydration” blog to get the deal.