Starting a skincare regimen may seem like a daunting task. There can be an overwhelming amount of skincare solutions to choose from, plus morning prep differs from bedtime routines, and dedicating the time each day is challenging. It is especially difficult when there is so much conflicting information online. So let’s break it down. The first step towards building a healthy skin routine starts with understanding the specific needs of your skin type.
What’s My Skin Type?
Before you start using products on your face and body, it’s important to know which ones will be most beneficial for your skin. Typically, there are 4 different types of skin: dry, oily, normal, and combination.
- Dry skin tends to be flaky and rough, with redness from irritation and lack of moisture. This skin type would benefit from hydration from moisturizers, serums, and oils.
- Oily skin produces an abundance of sebum, a natural, waxy substance secreted from the body’s sebaceous glands. Although these natural oils are good for keeping the skin moisturized, clogged pores and breakouts are more common. Exfoliators and acne products are useful to have on hand.
- Normal or neutral skin is well-balanced and has the fewest issues overall. However, changing weather, varying stress levels, and other fluctuating factors impact even the most balanced skin.
- Combination skin means that parts of the face are oily, and others are dry. Some areas of the skin need a mixture of several different product treatments to optimize the skin’s overall health and well-being.
The Basic Building Blocks
Once you’ve identified your skin type, you can successfully determine what products you will need to use on daily basis as part of your specific regimen. According to certified dermatologists, all good skincare routines include at least these 3 essential steps: cleansing, moisturizing, and sunscreen (in that order). Maintaining a consistent regimen is demanding if it’s too time-consuming, so keep it simple!
- Cleanse your face: This can be as simple as washing your face in the morning and at night with lukewarm water to create a “clean slate” for effective product application. Using a cleanser is not required, but highly recommended. For example, the AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser by SkinMedica is perfect for gently washing away oils and debris from pores.
- Moisturize the skin: Moisturizers are used to compensate for the water the body loses throughout the day, keeping the skin rejuvenated. Make sure to apply a product while the skin is still damp to retain the most moisture. SkinMedica’s HA⁵ Rejuvenating Hydrator is great for replenishing dry skin, while smoothing wrinkles and fine lines.
- Apply sunscreen: As part of your morning routine, put on sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful UV rays to prevent skin cancer or signs of aging. Let chemical sunscreens sit a while to get absorbed properly before going outside.
Applying skincare products in the correct order is key. We highly recommend the “thin to thick” rule when layering on multiple products. Start with those products that have the most important ingredients to penetrate the skin, like antioxidants in serums, and finish with products that need to sit on top of the skin, such as heavy creams and moisturizers.
Customize As You Go
Once you have the basics down, it’s worth further research to discover what additional products work well with your preferences. Your nighttime routine obviously doesn’t require any sunscreen, so perhaps an eye cream or overnight serum is more suitable. No matter what you need, SkinMedica provides innovative, tissue nutrient solutions (TNS) that have been developed by expert cosmetic scientists. Their team continues to craft revolutionary skincare solutions, with many of their latest products available at Jiva Med Spa.
Take a look at our recommendation list below—it may address some of your individual skin concerns and end goals. Remember, there is no “one size fits all” method to improve skin health; your skin is unique! Formulate your routine based on what works best for you.
- TNS Advanced+ Serum
- HA Rejuvenating Hydrator
- HA Smooth and Plump Lip System
- Neck & Décolleté Correct Cream
If you’re unsure which products will work best for you, we encourage you to come in for a free consultation with us at our Columbus (614-421-7546), Dayton (937-705-9430), or Cincinnati (513-834-1770) locations. We look forward to speaking with you!
EXCLUSIVE BLOG OFFER: Make sure to follow Jiva Med Spa on Facebook and Instagram and mention our “Skincare Regimen” blog post for 10% off all our SkinMedica products!